Friday, July 4, 2008

The Olympics - A Multi-Cultural Event

From 1989 to 1991, I lived in Sao Paulo, Brazil, as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I've always wanted to go back to Brazil, but the cost has been prohibitive. The next best thing has been little things ever since that has helped me stay connected with Brazil, like magazine subscriptions and audio recordings in Portuguese and Brazilian food...

Today, as more and more broadcasters start to arrive at Olympic Park from all over the world, I was fortunate enough to run into a crew from Rio de Janeiro - from TV Globo, a global satellite company based in Rio. We spent a few minutes talking about Brazil and sharing some food ideas... They wanted to know where to find churrasco (Brazilian BBQ) in Beijing; unfortunately, no such thing can be found here.

Anyway, it was a good visit and a good time to practice my Portuguese.

No comments: